Thursday, January 5, 2012

Value of my current networks



I am associated to a variety of networks relating to different aspects of my career. I am a dance teacher that teaches syllabus ballet classes for the majority of my lessons. I am a member of the ‘Royal Academy of Dance’ and teach their syllabuses and go to their training courses. I am also a freelance dancer for different opportunities and events that come up. I am part of a network with other professional graduates to promote us as dancers and also let us know what auditions are available. I have recently started looking into a Professional Facebook account; so I can have a central location for potential employees to view my headshots, show reels and CV.

 Also whilst I know quite a few R.A.D teachers on reflection I don’t think I use my contacts to my greatest advantage. There is a whole community of teachers that I can approach if I am having trouble with a student or teaching an exercise. All of them are going through and experiencing the same problems that I am sometimes faced with. Some teachers I know have more than 20 years experience, I have realized that they are priceless resources to me. As a young teacher I constantly feel like I have to prove myself and show I deserve the job I have, but I have realized that I can’t be too proud to ask for advice. I have contacts that have been there and done it all already, why not use them more and take onboard their life experiences as well as my own? 

No comments:

Post a Comment