Thursday, January 5, 2012

My important sources of information



My 5 most important sources of information are;

  1. 1.   The R.A.D network
  2. 2.   Radio
  3. 3.   Youtube/Music channels
  4. 4.   Facebook and Twitter
  5. 5.   Network of teachers I know personally


All of the above are important to me for different reasons. The network of professional teachers I know are so important to me for the reasons I discussed earlier. The network I’m affiliated with through my membership with the R.A.D is
also invaluable for similar reasons. It allows me to meet other teachers in my area. I believe strongly that local dance schools should try and work together rather than in constant competition with each other as more opportunities become available to the students.

The radio is an important source for me as I teach jazz and contemporary and street jazz. A lot of the reason children want to go to classes like jazz is to learn routines to songs they like and know. My personal music taste isn’t the same as the 10-13 year olds I teach for jazz. That is why the radio is important to me as it allows me to hear new songs and songs that are at the top of the charts.

Youtube and music channels are important for similar reasons. A lot of people watch music channels and want to copy the dances and styles used. So whilst I don’t copy the dances it is good to see the style used so I know what my students are hoping to recreate them.

Facebook and Twitter are important to any dancer for self-promotion purposes. The opportunity to promote yourself as a professional to such a wide network for free is amazing! There are numerous groups on Facebook that post when auditions are coming up and different opportunities. Most people in my generation have facebook and we often all post different information about auditions we find out about to each other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment